Inside_china-01

Inside China

UniqueView provides an in-depth look inside China: the Chinese market, consumer behaviours, the people’s thinking, beliefs and other factors affecting the choices they make. Our insights are based on facts gathered from years of conducting market research in China so we can offer our clients nothing but the most up-to date market intelligence.

Despite the many factors that continue to change Chinese culture, an understanding of its most basic themes and core values, all of which have remained intact over the years, remains key to really understanding Chinese behaviour today.

List of facts about China

  • The People’s Republic of China has an area of roughly 9.6 km², making it one of the largest countries in the world, large enough to be a continent on its own.
  • Due to its enormous size, China is home to one of the world’s largest populations, estimated at around 1.3 billion people
  • China has an urban population of around 620 million. This comprises 46% of the total population. Current estimates predict that this number will increase to one billion by the year 2030.
  • China’s population makes it the runaway winner for the largest number of active cellphones in the world, with about 1 billion users as of February 2012, more than 75% of its total population.
  • About 55 different ethnic minority groups are present in China, but only 110 million people or about 10% of the population belong to these groups. The other 90% belong to the dominant Han Chinese ethnic group.
  • China holds the record for having the world’s largest number of internet and broadband users with roughly 591 million internet subscribers as of 2013 or about 44% of its total population.
  • In July 2013 China had about 24% of the world’s internet-plugged devices.
  • With cycling embedded deeply into the culture of the Chinese, it is not surprising that the country has approximately 470 million bicycles.
  • Despite the prevalent use of bicycles, the Chinese automobile industry shows growth every year, having reported total car sales of over 13 million back in 2009, with estimated growth leading up to 40 million sales by the year 2020.
  • Chinese entrepreneurs took advantage of the fact that their country is home to the world’s largest population by using modern marketing practices and bringing e-commerce to China in 2007.
  • Through steady contributions and improvements, China is set to become the world’s leader in e-commerce by 2015 with projected sales of roughly 18 trillion RMB, which is a 32,000% increase since 2007.
  • China is the second-largest market in the world for Luxury Goods (second only to Japan). According to rough estimates, the Chinese Luxury Market is set to reach $14.6 billion by 2015.
  • The average urban citizen has a per capita net income of about 24,565 Yuan (2013) while those who live in the rural areas have a per capita net income of 7,917 Yuan (2013).

Next: The Chinese Market